Update: It’s live! It’s happening! Go read How To Create a WordPress Theme and learn how to code up something awesome.
Does that title sound familiar? Over 2 years ago the now defunct WPDesigner.com published a series of posts under that banner, teaching beginners how to create WordPress Themes from scratch.
2 years ago is a long time online: Things have changed.
Starting next week, ThemeShaper will publish a series of daily lessons that will teach you how to create your very own modern WordPress Theme—from scratch—using the latest best practices.
And it won’t be just any old WordPress theme you’ll have in your hands. In a lot of ways it will surpass what’s been done with the popular Thematic Theme Framework. Except, it’ll be a little leaner, a little meaner, and it’ll be all yours.
Here’s the laundry list of features your finished theme will be able to boast of.
- Search-engine optimization
- Localization support for translation
- Robust dynamic body and post classes
- Separated Comments and Trackbacks
- Gravatar support
- A valid, logical, semantic XHTML structure you can use to build ANY layout
- Valid CSS
- A strong typographical foundation
- Smart default layouts (that we can adapt for later layout generation)
- 2 widget areas, with NO hard-coded widgets, that “disappear” from the markup when they’re empty.
- Styling for WordPress Image Classes
- And pretty much all the typical WordPress stuff
When you’re done you’ll have a complete—and completely powerful—WordPress Theme that you can edit further or build on with a WordPress Child Theme. The choice is yours.
Are you ready?